VMware vSphere Virtual Server Hosting FAQ
- Can GridSouth provide customized dedicated GridServer configurations?
- Yes, GridSouth Networks can provide your business with dedicated GridHosting solutions that meet your specifications. Whether you need specialized software, database services or other customizations, our team will develop a solution to your exact specifications so long as the request is supported by the server platform.
- What options can be added to a dedicated GridServer plan?
- GridSouth Networks can customize a dedicated GridServer plan by adding options like MySQL, MS SQL, Email w/ Web access, ColdFusion MX and more. So long as the software can run on a physical server, we can make it work in a virtual environment. In addition, our technical staff will work with you to make sure your GridServers perform as expected.
- How do GridServer RAM and processor configurations compare to RAM and processor configurations on standard servers?
- GridSouth Networks deploys the very same GridServers in our own production environment. Physical servers that were configured with 4 GB of RAM have been converted to GridServers with between 512 MB and 1 GB of RAM. We have experienced no decrease in preformance and in most cases, have realized a significant increase in performance. Our GridServers accomplish this level of efficiency as result of VMware DRS (Dynamic Resource Services). What matters in the GridServer world is performance and parallels between RAM and processor power between a physical server and GridServers are not valid. The host environment and rescource pool setings determine the resources that are available to a given customer's GridServers and resources are automatically and dynamically allocated to each GridServer in real time.
- Can my servers in the GridSouth cloud connect to my LAN and use my existing Active Directory?
- Yes! We can easily provision a secure private VPN tunnel to your existing network. This means that your GridServers are now simply an extension of your existing infrastructure and housed in our highly available data center.
- I want to move my existing virtual server to GridSouth but don't know what to do. Can GridSouth help?
- Yes. Our technical support team will guide you through the steps necessary to move your virtual servers to GridSouth Networks. In most cases, we can gather the necessary information and handle the rest of the details for you. We will configure and test your new service and make sure everything is functional prior to directing traffic to your newly hosted GridServers. Most new customers are thrilled by the simplicity of the process and the level of support provided by GridSouth Networks.
- Does GridSouth Networks back their service with an SLA?
- Yes. GridSouth Networks dedicated GridServer plans are backed by a 100% uptime SLA covering hardware and network infrastructure.
- What services are included with a GridSouth dedicated GridServer plan?
- GridSouth Networks over-engineers™ each dedicated GridServer plan providing the customer with the tools necessary to insure maximum availability. Some of these features include private VLANS for each customer network, implementation of all VMware Infrastructure features including HA, DRS, Backups as well as VMotion. All of these services are included at no additional cost.
- Does GridSouth Networks charge a setup fee?
- GridSouth Networks only charges a setup fee for configurations that are billed on a month-to-month basis. Setup fees are waived for all annual subscriptions. Setup fees may be charged for certain specialty software. In all cases, any setup fees will be disclosed prior to the provisioning of service.
- How long does it take to provision a dedicated GridServer?
- For most standard configurations, GridSouth Networks can provision dedicated GridServers within 1 hour or less. For custom configurations, provisioning could take up to 1 business day.
- Does GridSouth Networks offer backup services?
- Yes. GridSouth Networks offers two ways for you to backup your dedicated GridServer. Data can be backed up to our Storage Area Network or we can configure your dedicated GridServers so that they are mirrored on a completely redundant hot standby server at one of our other data centers.
- How does GridSouth Networks handle technical support?
- GridSouth Networks does not oursource technical support. Customers have direct access to our Technical Support Team 24 x 7 x 365. Our on-line ticketing system is used to track and manage all support. Customers can expect a response to all tickets within 30 minutes and an immediate response for emergency tickets.
- Can customers install their own software on their dedicated GridServers?
- Yes but the customer becomes responsible for the software licensing and technical support required to implement and maintain that software. Certain untested software may impact server stability and possibly void our SLA. Please be sure to work with our technical support team when installing custom software.
- Why does GridSouth appear to be more costly than other providers?
- GridSouth Networks is committed to providing over-engineered™ equipment backed by over-engineered™ technical support. Our dedicated GridServer solutions are a complete package that provide everything needed for superior performance and maximum uptime. We maintain the most current software versions with direct access to 24 x 7 support from VMware. Most other providers set a low price and then charge for every added feature and very few base their services on the VMware Infrastructure. In addition, other providers often provision dated hardware and provide little or no technical support. GridSouth Networks does not. Our hardware is factory-direct and we provide a complete package for one upfront and easy-to-understand price.